At the 2015 Annual General Meeting of the Federation, members adopted a resolution calling for the establishment of a universal free school lunch program. Since that time the Federation has been working toward the implementation of this project; this has included, to date:
- A “summit meeting” of primary producers, educators, chefs, dietitians and others in June 2015 to talk about the broad challenges and opportunities of the program.
- Participation in the Canada-wide Coalition for Healthy School Food.
- Screening of the film Cafeteria Man in the fall of 2016.
- Organization of a visit by U.S. Chef Tony Geraci, the subject of Cafeteria Man, in October 2016 for a weeklong series of meetings with students, teachers, parents, administrators, chefs, farmers and producers, processors and politicians.
- Featuring a prototypical healthy, local school lunch at the Fall 2016 Semi-Annual Meeting of members.