At the 2015 Annual General Meeting of the Federation, members adopted a resolution calling for the establishment of a universal free school lunch program. Since that time the Federation has been working toward the implementation of this project; this has included, to date:
- A “summit meeting” of primary producers, educators, chefs, dietitians and others in June 2015 to talk about the broad challenges and opportunities of the program.
- Participation in the Canada-wide Coalition for Healthy School Food.
- Screening of the film Cafeteria Man in the fall of 2016.
- Organization of a visit by U.S. Chef Tony Geraci, the subject of Cafeteria Man, in October 2016 for a weeklong series of meetings with students, teachers, parents, administrators, chefs, farmers and producers, processors and politicians.
- A short video of Chef Tony's visit by Jeff Eager, Hummingbird Productions (In Production)
- Featuring a prototypical healthy, local school lunch at the Fall 2016 Semi-Annual Meeting of members.
- An Environmental Scan of School Food on PEI and School Food Fact Sheet, compiled by Tracy Michael of Nourished Kitchen.
- Letters of support from Parker Grimmer, Cheif Operations Officer, Public Schools Branch and John Jamieson, Deputy Minister, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
- PEI Home and School Federation Guiding Principles for School Food in Prince Edward Island.