Elected School Board Model Consultations
The province is committed to reinstating school boards that have elected representatives, which will encourage further collaboration and communication between school boards, government and community stakeholders.
Consultations are taking place to determine the best elected school board model for the English Language School Board. The current French Language School Board is already elected, and will continue to operate as is.
Role of the Public Schools Branch Board of Directors
The Public Schools Branch (PSB) serves English students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 in 56 schools across Prince Edward Island. The PSB Board of Directors is mandated to:
- provide strategic direction for the PSB;
- set policy for the English public schools;
- approve the PSB’s budget and operations; and
- be accountable to students, parents, the community and the Minister of Education and Lifelong Learning for the performance of the PSB.
Share Your Opinion
Islanders can participate by submitting their written questions or by completing an online survey. If and when possible, in-person consultations may be offered while adhering to the public health and safety guidelines.
The online survey will be open on January 11, 2021 and close on March 11, 2021.
Written comments can be submitted by email to email@example.com(link sends e-mail) or mailed to the address found at the bottom of the page.
Please include your views on:
- the composition of the PSB Board of Directors
- appointed representatives for diversity
- eligibility of candidates
- the boundaries for the elected PSB Board of Directors
- the election process
- methods to increase voter turnout and candidates
The information gathered from the online consulations will be reviewed by the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning and will inform a new governance model, as well as required legislative and regulatory changes under the Education Act.
Elected Public School Branch Board of Directors Public Consultations
Department of Education and Lifelong Learning
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Attention: Legislative and Planning Coordinator
This information was posted by the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning on: December 21, 2020
Posted by Shirley Smedley-Jay on Monday, December 21, 2020.