Education and Lifelong Learning Mandate Letter (excerpt)
Honourable Dennis King, Premier of Prince Edward Island
October 11, 2019
"As the Minister of Education and Lifelong Learning, your overarching goal is to lead our province’s efforts to develop and deliver excellent high-quality education in English and French for Island children from birth to Grade 12, while also encouraging and promoting skills development and learning opportunities throughout all stages of life. You will ensure your departmental focus is on supporting the Speech from the Throne delivered on June 14, 2019 while delivering on priorities specific to your mandate.
I expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to make substantive progress on the following priorities:
- Work with the private and public sectors to ensure that the delivery of child care services is accessible and responsive to the needs of all Islanders;
- Establish a youth school-to-workforce transition taskforce so that our young graduates are properly prepared for employment;
- Ensure that all stakeholders have a voice in the delivery of education, including parents, grandparents, guardians, and students;
- Review educational funding and program models, such as the inclusive education model, and make practical adjustments to meet the complex and diverse needs in our Island classrooms;
- Identify skill gaps and emerging employment sectors and work with our Island educators and institutions to deliver programming to address these opportunities including the expansion of technology-related post-secondary programs;
- Lead and implement universal public half-day community-based pre-kindergarten for Island four-year-olds;
- Reduce the financial burden for Island post-secondary students through direct funding and innovative solutions such as open-textbook initiatives;
Reinstate school boards that have elected representatives and encourage further collaboration and communication between school boards, the Department and education and community stakeholders;
- Review the standardized testing process to ensure the appropriate assessment tools are being utilized, educational authorities are responsive to the results, and educators and learners are supported to address and improve individual outcomes;
- Review the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission to ensure its function and role has remained current with the needs of Islanders;
Work with your colleague the Minister of Agriculture and Land to develop and implement a fulsome provincial school food program building on recent pilot success;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy to increase vocational opportunities in Island high-schools, and increase the participation of equity-seeking groups in our trades;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture to fund, grow, and retain research and intellectual property here on PEI, and support the marketing and commercialization for the benefit of all Islanders;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture to review program delivery of provincial immigration, Skills PEI, LMDA and LMA to ensure their goals and deliveries are aligned;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Health and Wellness to implement the first 1000 days initiative; and
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture to champion and inspire Island culture and heritage and increase awareness and education of our proud past."
Two priorities linked to PEI Home and School Federation policy:
1. Establish a Provincial School Lunch Program for All Island Children, Resolution 2015-08
"Work with your colleague the Minister of Agriculture and Land to develop and implement a fulsome provincial school food program building on recent pilot success."
2. Request for a Revision of the Education Act and a Return to Elected School Board, Resolution 2018-06
"Reinstate school boards that have elected representatives and encourage further collaboration and communication between school boards, the Department and education and community stakeholders"
Lunch Program Archive
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.