The PEI Home and School Federation is pleased to present three Extra Mile Awards during Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week. This award is given to a Island school teacher or staff person who demonstrates going “above and beyond the call of duty” making significant contribution to the lives of Island students in a positive and caring way.
In 2015 the Federation awarded three Extra Mile Awards, and the second honouree was Barbie MacQuarrie, Administrative Assistant at Spring Park Elementary School.
Here are comments from people in the Spring Park Elementary community:
- “Barbie is pivotal to making the school flow more effectively and to be a safe and caring school environment.”
- "She speaks to everyone with respect and sincere compassion – it is through everything she says and does that we know she truly cares about everyone’s well-being, but particularly the children’s."
- "Barbue has an extra special knack for helping those students who have the most difficulty, behaviourly, socially, or academically.”
- "She keeps us all smiling and working together. No task is too difficult or too large for her. (She) makes Spring Park School a special place for our students and staff.”
- “When my son has had a difficult day, it is a welcomed blessing to have such an amazing woman do her job in such a caring and efficient manner.”
- “From my first day at the school, I felt welcomed by Barbue and knew my child was in good care… She goes above and beyond…to ensure that going to school is a positive experience for the students and their parents.
This student seems to sum up every child’s experience:
She helps us when we get hurt, and she knows all our names…She loves all of us and knows all about us.
The PEI Home and School Federation was honoured to recognize Barbie's contribution to Island education and to Spring Park Elementary School, where she has worked for 18 years, in a ceremony held at the school on Thursday, February 12, 2015.