The PEI Home and School Federation is pleased to present three Extra Mile Awards during Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week. This award is given to a Island school teacher or staff person who demonstrates going “above and beyond the call of duty” making significant contribution to the lives of Island students in a positive and caring way.
In 2015 the Federation awarded three Extra Mile Awards, and the first honouree was Kate MacSwain, Behaviour Resource Specialist at Souris Regional School.
Here are comments from people in the Souris Regional School community:
- Parent Home and School volunteer: “Kate works very closely with classroom teachers, parents and students to ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to a child’s learning.”
- Administrator: “Kate looks outside the box in an effort to make school work for all children.”
- Colleague: “Kate's caring nature and patient approach while dealing with challenging issues has resulted in positive outcomes for the students they have worked closely with.”
- Student: “You are always there when we need help. You are like an angel. You make the sad, happy. You make bullies into friends.”
Aside from fulfilling duties in an exemplary way, Kate is busy with many other projects and endeavors that enrich the lives of students and colleagues alike. Included in this list are:
- Helping Home and School write grant applications for Indigo For The Love of Reading and Aviva Community Fund
- Accompanying the students outside at recess and lunch break
- Developing a highly successful running program to promote physical activity among students.
- Running a boys club for students.
Kate is described as being “caring, compassionate, humble, kind, calm, thoughtful and more as a wonderful colleague, a tremendous support to parents and a tireless advocate for all children."
The PEI Home and School Federation was honoured to recognize Kate's contribution to Island education in a ceremony held at Souris Regional School on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 and Kate was further-recognized the following day at the official opening of the newly-renovated school with a presentation of a certificate from Hon. Alan McIsaac, Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.