At the 2015 Annual General Meeting of the Federation, members adopted a resolution calling for the establishment of a universal free school lunch program. Since that time the Federation has been working toward the implementation of this program.
- RESOLUTION To Establish a Provincial School Lunch Program for all Island Children, Passed, AGM April 2015
- A “summit meeting” of primary producers, educators, chefs, dietitians and others in June 2015 to talk about the broad challenges and opportunities of the program.
- Participation in the Canada-wide Coalition For Healthy School Food
- Screening of the film Cafeteria Man in the fall of 2016.
- Organization of a visit by U.S. Chef Tony Geraci, the subject of Cafeteria Man, in October 2016 for a weeklong series of meetings with students, teachers, parents, administrators, chefs, farmers and producers, processors and politicians.
- A short video of Chef Tony's visit by Jeff Eager, Hummingbird Productions, in production.
- Featuring a prototypical healthy, local school lunch at the Fall 2016 Semi-Annual Meeting of members.
- An Environmental Scan of School Food on PEI and School Food Fact Sheet, compiled by Tracy Michael of Nourished Kitchen, 2017.
- Letters of support from Parker Grimmer, Chief Operations Officer, Public Schools Branch and John Jamieson, Deputy Minister, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
- PEI Home and School Federation Guiding Principles for School Food in Prince Edward Island.
- Student School Food Think Tanks, Fall 2018: Hundreds of students participated in the events at East Wiltshire Intermediate, Kinkora Regional High, and Montague Regional High.
- Centralized kitchen being tested for hot lunches at Charlottetown Schools, January 2019
- Letter to Premier Dennis King, September 17, 2019: Meeting request concerning implementation of Universal Healthy School Lunch Program
- P.E.I. government launching $5 healthy school lunch program in January 2020
- Education and Lifelong Learning Mandate Letter, October 2020
- Education minister promises P.E.I. school food program for fall 2020, November 2020
- Healthy School Lunch Program is a universal school food program available to all students across Prince Edward Island during the 2020/21 school year., November 2020
Education and Lifelong Learning Mandate Letter (excerpt) Honourable Dennis King, Premier of Prince Edward Island October ...Read More →